Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Beyond the Chalkboard

We all have a favorite teacher that we remember from our school days.  I have two that I think about frequently, Mr. Guiderelli (known as Mr. G) and Ms. Richardson.  Mr. G was my sixth grade teacher at Como Elementary and Ms. Richardson taught Honors English at Highland Park High School.

Although Mr. G was a great teacher and I have fond memories of his class, I learned a lot about myself in Ms. Richardson's English class.  Her class was challenging but fun. She demanded a great deal from her students but was still able to maintain a fun learning environment. I remember we had to give hour long individual oral presentations to the class each semester.  There was a large range of topics we could choose from but it required lengthy research in the library.  Remember the Dewey Decimal system used to find books in the card catalog!  Oh what a nightmare that was!  Nowadays, kids have no idea how lucky they are to have the Internet for research right at their fingertips!

We had to have a bibliography, title page, table of contents, research paper itself and of course the dreaded foot notes! We spent hours reading and researching our topics and eventually had to speak in front of the entire class about our paper. We were graded not only on the research paper but also the oral presentation to the class.  This was my first formal introduction to public speaking.  I hated it.  I was shy in high school and this put me in a very uncomfortable arena.

At the time, this was an overwhelming experience for me.  But as an adult, I look back with great appreciation for Ms. Richardson and her ability to engage us in our education instead of just teaching at us. Those baby steps in high school enabled me to step up and take public speaking in college.  It has steadily progressed from there to my career.  I learned that if  am passionate about something and have knowledge to share, I don't have stage fright.   I have given presentations to groups as large as 200 -300 people and it's no sweat!

It's funny because I often think of Ms. Richardson when I step up to give a presentation.  I think back to my sweaty palms, my quivering voice and trembling hands.  I realize how far I have come in life and how one teacher still has an impact on me today.  Teachers see thousands of students throughout their careers and often don't realize the impact they have on their students.  They are aware in a way but often don't hear what an important role they play in the lives they touch.

I am not able to thank Ms. Richardson as she passed away in a car accident many years ago but I'd like to think she had some idea of what a great teacher she was.  She never lost her passion. She never lost her sense of humor.  She genuinely cared about her students. We weren't just a paycheck to her.

Teachers have a tough job.  Each generation has it's own battles to fight.  Class sizes continue to rise and resources continue to dwindle.  Technology advances at the speed of light with computers, smart boards,  Internet, online textbooks, online grading systems, etc.  It's not just about a black board, chalk and text books anymore.  Teachers are role models, counselors, social workers and disciplinarians in addition to their job to educate our children.

Several members of my immediate and extended family have been involved in the education system for many generations as teachers and principals.  It baffles me as I know I could never do it.  I don't have the patience. I have met people who had my grandfather as their principal, my mother as their principal, my sister as their teacher or my dad as their assistant principal.  They tell me how much they enjoyed them and appreciated how much they cared about the kids.  It makes me proud to know my family has contributed to the education of our kids.  We seem to be failing at educating our youth and are losing them to online schools, home schooling or non-traditional schools.  Society seems to forget that school isn't just about the 'book' learning. It's about socialization, conflict resolution, developing coping skills and so much more.

So think back to your school days and who made a great impression on you! If you can find them, send them a letter or email and thank them for making an impact on your life.  After all, it's because of a teacher that you are able to read this today!


No comments:

Post a Comment