Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Tom Girl

I typically don't have difficulty defining myself, but recently it's come more to my attention that I am not quite a Tom Boy but not a girly girl either.  I am somewhere in between - I am a Tom Girl.

I have always been an athlete, so hair and make-up has never been a priority for me since it was going to get washed or sweated off quickly.  Therefore, I never acquired the skill to apply make-up properly without looking like a clown, so I just go with the basics, eyeliner and mascara. On occasion, I will apply lipstick or gloss which prompts my children to ask me if I am going to a wedding.  This gives you an idea of how often I get 'dolled' up.

I enjoy wearing dresses and skirts with high heels, now and then, but don't usually have anywhere to wear them! Yet, when I see a cute dress while shopping, I purchase it because I know when I actually NEED a dress, I won't be able to find one. This is very much the girl in me, purchasing clothing with really no need for it.  In fact I have several dresses with the tags still attached, hanging in my overstuffed closet just waiting for an opportunity to reveal themselves! Sometimes, you just can't pass up a great sale. This holds true for high heels - another hard to shop for item when needed, so purchase when unexpectedly found.

Now the females reading this are nodding their heads in agreement because they get it.  It's a chic thing, a girly thing. The males are shaking their heads in disbelief even though they know chics are like this.  Men buy clothes when they need them.

As a girly-girl, I like the color pink.  I shave my legs religiously. I like Victoria's Secret.  I like sexy things.  I like to have the door held open for me.  I like perfume. I like to look pretty. I knit, crochet, sew, and craft.

But the tomboy side of me rears it's persona very frequently and maybe even more often.  I love baseball hats. When I am not at work, I am almost always wearing a hat.  I have a large collection of common and unique hats. I love my hats. Some people don't recognize me without a hat! I also love jeans and a t-shirt or sweats. I like comfy shoes and clothes that often are not flattering to a female figure.

I have several tattoos, muscles, a potty mouth - that at times can shame a sailor, a competitive nature, and a severe case of sarcasm.  I enjoy snow blowing and learning to fix things around the house and don't mind getting dirty. I'm not easily intimidated but can be sensitive and get my feelings hurt. I feel tough but I don't really like spiders, snakes or centipedes.  

So it just doesn't make sense.  I am a Tom Girl.  People joke that I am a guy trapped in a chic's body, but not in the sexual orientation fashion, if that makes sense.  I think they base this upon my smart-ass, hard-ass personality and humor.  Only a few truly see the 'softer' side of me.  I don't intentionally keep it hidden, just a safety mechanism I guess.  I'm happy being a Tom Girl! I get the best of both worlds.







No comments:

Post a Comment