Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Ink is Not Always What You Think

To ink or not to ink.

Tattoos are a very personal decision.  They are still controversial even though their popularity has increased in the last few years.  The age old stigma of 'bad boys' and only Harley dudes get tattoos is a thing of the past. Mainstream America is getting tattooed at quick pace. Yet, people still cast judgement on those who get inked.

I use to be one of those judgmental people many years ago.  I had no basis for it other than my parents influence on me and just the social taboo attached to tattoos.  Obviously, I overcame my own feelings about tattoos as I have six of them.  Yes - six. One on each arm, one on my neck and a three tattoo combo on my lower back fondly known to many as a 'tramp stamp'.  However, I did not get my first ink until I was 35 years old.  Old enough to know better, old enough to understand the social stigma attached to tattoos, and old enough to know they are permanent.

I know who I am.  I like who I am.  I am secure in who I am. It took me a lifetime to get here.  If someone makes the choice to think less of me or chooses to base their opinion of me on that fact that I have tattoos, I view it as their loss and it's a good thing we won't be getting to know each other better.  What I chose to do with my body is no more their business than their life choices are mine.  My own mother and children disagree with my choice to get inked but they still love me and accept it as my choice.

My tattoos mean something to me.  They are not random art which I just had slapped on my body.  I put thought into their design and what they mean to me. At times, I cover them because that is what is appropriate for certain situations. Other times, they are on full display and I have no qualms about them being exposed.  It is interesting to see others reaction who are unaware that I have them.  They try to hide their surprise but are usually unsuccessful.  I let them stare and only respond if they ask about them.  I guess I don't fit the mold of a gal who should be sporting ink! But is there really a type?

I am college educated, a professional, a mom, a woman, an athlete, live in the burbs, don't own a motorcycle, don't do drugs and am pretty clean cut.

So why do we still judge people who have ink? Is it any different than changing your hair color, getting plastic surgery, wearing goth clothing, piercings in unusual places, religious, political or anti-abortion/pro-life bumper stickers? These are all out on display but don't seem to generate the same reaction as ink. You can change your hair again, you can change your clothes, you can remove your piercings and remove your bumper stickers.  Ink is a bit more tricky.

Getting inked is a choice. It may not be a choice for everyone just like so many other choices in life.  It is one of those things which makes us unique or different. You will have to decide for yourself if you are going to let a little ink get in the way of what could be a wonderful friendship, business partnership, or intimate relationship. Ink doesn't always mean what you think!




No comments:

Post a Comment