Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Man in the Hat

Man's best friend

Every morning on my drive into work, I see an elderly man, wearing a hat, out walking with his dog. I see them regardless of rain, shine, sleet or snow.  The man's gait is steady but slow.  He pauses often to catch his breath and rest.  His loyal companion stops each and every time.  His red leash is tattered and frayed from dragging on the ground because he never goes faster than his master can travel.  He doesn't chase squirrels, bark at other walkers or stretch the leash so it is taught.   On occasion, his master stops and chats with other walkers.  His best friend just lies down on the sidewalk waiting patiently to continue on his journey.   He is beautiful.  He is loyal.  He loves his friend whose feet he walks side by side with every day.

Last year when I was walking I crossed paths with the man wearing the hat and his best friend.  It was a Saturday and still early in the morning. The walking path was still relatively quiet.  I had my weight vest on and was clipping along at a quick pace.  As I approached the man in his hat and his best friend I stopped and said hello.  He was curious about my weight vest and the purpose it served for me.  We chatted for a few minutes about how beautiful his dog was and what a great day was ahead.   The man was happy, cheerful and seemed so content with life. We did not exchange names but I felt like I knew him because I had seen him walking his dog every morning for the last five years. I pet his lovely pup and went on my way.

This morning when I drove by, he was stopped, resting taking a moment before he moved on. His loyal companion once again waiting patiently at his side. I know he lives just up ahead a few blocks as I have seen him come from his home.  So many thoughts and questions race through my mind each day when I see him. I wonder if he is married or a widow.  I wonder if he has grandchildren.  How does he occupy his day? How old is he? What did he do for a living? Is he lonely?

I also worry.  What if one day, he falls or his health fails him on his walk. Will I or someone else be around to help him? What about his companion?  Who will care for him? Then I feel bad that these thoughts have crossed my mind by realize it is because I have actually come to care about a complete stranger.  Seems a bit unusual, but I do and I can't quite explain it.  I, too, love animals and have four dogs. Maybe that is my connection to him - our unwavering love for man's best friend.

The man in the hat also reminds me of my grandfather who passed away many years ago.  My grandfather always had a dog while I was growing up and he always wore a hat when he went outside. His dogs lived like kings and never left his side. He took them on daily walks too and they were always well trained.  Rags was a standard schnauzer and Riches was a golden retriever - Rags to Riches, get it?   Pretty clever. I use to go on walks with my grandpa and we would go up to the cemetery, to the open field, where they could run off-leash.  It seems not that long ago, yet it has been at least 25 years.  I think seeing the man with the hat walking his loyal companion reminds me of my grandfather and the good times we shared on something as simple as a walk.

I love that the man with the hat has his best friend to walk along side him every day.  It's a such simple thing but one which brings a smile to my face whenever I see him.  He makes my day without even knowing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment